Oxfordshire CCG sought to address the problem that too many patients were being referred to secondary care, increasing pressures on hospitals.
A key part of this was resolving the inconsistent use by GPs of the latest pathway guidance when referring patients, resulting in them not directing patients to the most appropriate care leading to delays in patient treatment and the inefficient use of NHS services.
The CCG requested Vantage Health’s help in ensuring a more consistent use of the most up to date guidance by GPs, improving the quality of referral information and the effectiveness of the referral process so that patients receive the right care first time in the most accessible way.
Vantage Health worked with GPs, hospital consultants and managers in Oxfordshire CCG to implement the AI platform, Rego Care Navigator, that operationalises the hundreds of local and national pathway guidance, enabling clinicians, in just a few clicks to refer patients to the appropriate care, which is often away from hospitals.
The platform connects with all primary and secondary care clinical systems such as e-RS as well as all providers, allowing the GPs to consider all care options for their patients – such as local community services – more easily. It also significantly reduces the administrate burden associated with referrals so that clinicians can focus on providing care.
Implementing Rego Care Navigator in Oxfordshire CCG has involved several steps, including:
- bringing together clinicians and managers from primary, secondary and community care, along with commissioners to design and agree the most appropriate patient pathways
- integrated these pathways into the AI platform together with patient data
- regularly reviewing the local and national care pathways, updating and adapting the platform to meet the changing needs of the NHS
Rego Care Navigator is currently being piloted in Oxfordshire CCG and it is expected to:
- Reduce outpatient attendance by 50%
- Reduce waiting lists
- Reduce the time for patients to receive the right care
- Free up clinicians time by reducing the administrative burden
- Free up hospital resources